28 September 2009

This is NEWS…News I tell ya!

2007 Sep 27_6213

“Two men who tried lighting up cigarettes in a public toilet in Qinzhou, Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, were seriously scalded as they accidently ignited the marsh gas last Thursday.

A blaze broke out in the environment-friendly toilet in the city’s Erqiaotou road when they lit the cigarettes.

The men suffered burns on their hips and were rushed to a hospital for treatment.  They are out of danger.

It took firefighter two hours to put out the fire.”

                                                                             -Nangou Morning Post

 

This article was printed in our only English language newspaper the only one that we have access to in Nanjing, The China Daily.  The China Daily is full of many delightful stories of happenings around China that the government feels that its citizens should know about.  The paper is the Chinese standard paper that is translated to English for us expats. 

As an English speaking expat I am always interested in finding out all I can about the area I now call home.  Stateside all we do is tune into one of our many local channels to see why the highway was diverted or why there was a crowd of people gathered in the park.  In China we see many of these same sites but have no idea as to the reason why mainly due to the language barrier.  The China Daily covers happening across the whole country and on occasion we get tidbits about things happening in our city. 

This weekend Bill brought this article to my attention.  Oh, my God – I have had several days of laughs thanks to the China Daily and its ability to connect with what the readers are want to know.  Random thoughts  that immediately crossed my mind:

  • What did that 911 call sound like?  In China it is actually 119 – whatever.
  • Environmental – friendly toilet?
  • What the hell did they eat?
  • Environmental = marsh gas (methane)?
  • First guy goes to second guy “Hey, lets go to the friendly bathroom and smoke.”
  • Didn’t it smell, I don’t know FLAMMABLE?
  • How did the fire just burn their hips? Right.
  • Did first guy yell at second guy, “Dude, my ass is on fire!”
  • Second guy responds, “My ass too.”
  • How do you say “My ass is on fire!” in Chinese?
  • And can I get it on a t-shirt?

I just love living in China.  My bonus site was today I saw a chubby china man strolling down the sidewalk wearing a t-shirt that said Made in Italy.  False Advertisement?

No comments: