18 September 2008

Porche: New Addition to the Clan

Derek won. Despite my resolve not to add any more pets to our family, especially since we are out of country - I caved. Allow me to introduce to you, Porche, pronounced as Porcha. She is about 12 weeks old and we picked her up at a local street fair. She spent the first week in hiding. I think it may have been due to the daily baths and the flea treatment she received. She was one very unhappy kitty.

I couldn't get her to come out of hiding and she being so tiny found some really good hiding places. I tried all the normal kitty calling and finally had the revelation that kittens are not called kittens in Chinese. Kitten is an American word, duh! The Chinese word for cat is Mao and for kitten is Chao Mao. Forgive the misspellings for those that actually know the correct spelling. Point is that Chinese don't go around saying "kitty kitty kitty". I tried Mao Mao Mao but doesn't work either.

Porche has been with us for a bit over two weeks now and she is starting to interact with the family. She seems to enjoy bouncing off of Bill's head around 2am. Bill does not find this so amusing. Porche is the only cat I have seen that can purr and meow at the same time - must be a China thing. I am sure it doesn't need to be said but Derek named her - not me.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Do you think puma will get along with him?