28 July 2008

Balance Grasshopper....

Easyrider...China Style.
I wake up this morning trying to get the nerve to ride the scooter all by myself. I have rode with Bill but it is time for me to get off the "bitch" seat. I am nearly 40 years old. I haven't rode a bicycle since I was in high school. Three wheeler, four wheeler, jet ski's, snow mobiles. NO problem. My cute two wheeled motorized demon scares the poop out of me...a to increase my dread....riding it in chinese traffic. I walk out on Derek's balcony to hang up laundry and across the way I see the water guy. This man puts 10 to 12 five gallon water tanks on his scooter and delivers them around town. As you can see there is barely room for a person between all the tanks. This is a normal method for deliveries in our town.
I have seen a family of four get from Point A to Point B on one scooter. Propone is delivered by an old man on a scooter 6 to 8 tanks bunged to his scooter as he weaves through crazy traffic all the while sucking on a cigarette. Not exactly an OSHA approved delivery system but they make it work here.
What is my lesson in all this...buck up cowgirl and ride. I convinced Derek to come to the parking garage with me and walk me through getting "Sally" unlocked and started. Yeah, from here forth the scooters name shall be "Sally Scooter". Derek talks me through the basics...brakes (good to know), throttle, horn. What more could a chubby 40 yr. old. american need to know. - Balance.....yeah.
I made Derek sign a confidentiality waiver to never discuss anything he may have witnessed this afternoon. Nor was he permitted to laugh out loud. Don't go asking him for his take on my lesson.
First, scooters are heavier then they appear. Two, fast is easier until you need to stop. Three, Turning is a bitch. Why is it easier to turn to the left than the right. You would think that I am right handed so the right movements would be more natural. NO! I believed I was given the finger by an angry squirrel this afternoon.
That said, I drove the scooter today...all by myself. No training wheels or nothing.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Chris said...

Glad to see you are getting out of the house..

ZORRO said...

ًWhich side of the road do they drive in??? That guy is driving on the left!! ...I can just see you ridding away into the 'Chineese sunset'.. ha! Love to read from you!!! Aishah